Daily Five Jul 28 2017
Trick to remember Indus Water Treaty rivers.
According to the treaty, Beas, Ravi and Sutlej are to be governed by India, while, Indus, Chenab and Jhelum are to be taken care by Pakistan.
Rivers governed by India: SBR-> Shreshta Bharat Rashtra
Rivers governed by Pak: JIC -> Jihadist and islamic country
Feel free to share any other mnemonics to remember this easily
2. Prelims Questions
1) Which of the following are manifestation of regionalism in country?
1) Khalistan movement
2) Demand of separate statehood
3) Demand of people of Delhi for full-fledged statehood
4) Interstate boundary disputes.
Which of the following above options are correct
A) 1 and 2 only
B) 2 and 4 only
C) 1,2 and 4 only
D) All the above
2) Consider the following statements regarding the state Administrative Tribunal
1) State Administrative Tribunals are established under acts of respective state governments
2) The chairman and members of the SATs are appointed by the governor
3) The working of SATs is guided by principle of natural justice
Which of the above statements are correct
A) 1 and 2 only
B) 3 only
C) 2 and 3 only
D) All the above
3) Under Indus water Treaty
Water of which three rivers was given to India?
A) Ravi, Beas & Sutlej
B) Ravi, Beas& Jhelum
C) Indus, Jhelum & Chenab
D) Sutlej, Indus& Chenab
regionalism is an ideology and political movement that seeks to advance the causes of regions, if the interest of one region or a state is asserted against the country as a whole or against another region/state in a hostile way then it is called as regionalism
Some of the important causes are
1)geographical factor, 2)historical and cultural factors
3)caste and region
Central administrative tribunal and the state administrative tribunals are established under Administrative Tribunals Act, 1985
The chairman and members of the SATs are appointed by the president after consultation with the governor of the state concerned
Indus Waters Treaty – Wikipedia
3. QuickBytes (Use these quotes/figures/facts in your Mains Exam)
4. RAG topics
A. Indus water treaty
B. Role of Governors
5. Today’s Mains Questions
1. Present an account of the Indus Water Treaty and examine its ecological, economic and political implications in the context of changing bilateral relations.
(Ans. Indicator: http://indianexpress.com/article/what-is/indus-water-treaty-all-you-need-to-know-about-india-pakistan-water-dispute-4577403/)
2. Examine the role and position of Governors in the state administration. Do they still acting exclusively as agents of the centre or shifted to a more co-operative relation with the state administration.
(Ans. Indicator: http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/VCnOT1WVlTs4STlW7Z9cuN/Governors-in-Indian-states-A-colonial-imprint.html
3. Critically assess the proposed Free trade agreement, RCEP. What are negotiating countries aiming to achieve? Discuss what is India hoping to gain?
(Ans. indicator: http://m.businesstoday.in/story/rcep-is-it-in-indias-interests/1/257285.html)
All the above notes will also be updated in the ARISE IAS RAG List for systematic revision. Join below telegram group for daily updates/questions/discussions Click Here