Daily Five May 24 2017
All the below notes will also be updated in the ARISE IAS RAG List for systematic revision.
Join below telegram group for daily updates/questions/tips Click Here
1. Assertion: water freezes on the surface of a lake but not below it
Reason: Water becomes denser after freezing
Choose the right option
a. Assertion is correct but reason is incorrect
b. Assertion is incorrect but reason is correct
c. Both assertion and reason are correct
d. Both assertion and reason are incorrect
2. The most abundant element in the universe, hydrogen is also a promising source of “clean” fuel on Earth. But pure hydrogen gas is scarce in Earth’s atmosphere. Why?
a. Pure hydrogen is highly unstable at room temperature
b. It is very reactive element hence not available in pure form
c. Being lighter it escapes Earth’s gravity easily
3. Consider the following factors:
Which of the above factors are responsible for heating of earth’s atmosphere?
(a) 1 and 2 only
(b) 2 and 3 only
(c) 1 and 3 only
(d) 1, 2 and 3
4. What is the correct sequence in decreasing order of albedo for the following?
4. Snow Cover
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
5. Read the following statements on CBI
1. CBI is a statutory body deriving its powers from Delhi Special Police Establishment Act (DSPE)
2. CBI was formed after recommendations by K.Santhanam committee
3. CBI is the nodal agency for INTERPOL in India
4. CBI is a Central Police Organisation working under Min of Home Affairs
Identify the incorrect options
c. All of the above
Solid water, or ice, is less dense than liquid water.
Most liquids are denser than their frozen versions, but water is a rare and important exception. Water molecules like to arrange themselves in a very specific position as they cool down, and because of this, the molecules are highly ordered and spread out.
Being lighter these gases face very low attraction due to the acceleration due to gravity. They have more tendency to escape out of earth’s gravity
Heating of earth’s surface involves radiation from sun. In turn Earth’s surface heats the layers above it through conduction of sun’s radiation and by transmission of heat by upward movement of air current or convection.
Albedo: the proportion of the incident light or radiation that is reflected by a surface.
Q asking INCORRECT. Answer is B. CBI is an Executive Body though it derives its powers from DSPE 1942 + formed on recommendation of K.Santhanam (CVC also formed on his recommendation in 1964) + CBI is a NODAL agency of INTERPOL in India + It comes under DoPT