Daily Five May 30 2017
All the below notes will also be updated in the ARISE IAS RAG List for systematic revision.
Join below telegram group for daily updates/questions/tips Click Here
1. Consider the following statements:
1. As waves moves from the crust towards the core, the velocity of waves increases in general.
2. While S waves provides an understanding of the interior of the earth, P waves do not.
Which of the statements given above is/are incorrect?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
2. In which of the following corals are not found?
(a) Gulf of Kutch
(b) Gulf of Khambat
(c) Gulf of Mannar
(d) None of the above
3. Which of the following Ramsar Wetlands is/are of freshwater status?
1. Loktak Lake
2. Sasthamkotta Lake
3. Kolleru Lake
4. Chilka Lake
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 and 3 only
(b) 2 and 4 only
(c) 1, 2 and 4 only
(d) 1, 3 and 4 only
4. A particular state in India has the following characteristics:
1. It lies on the same latitude which passes through Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh.
2. It has over 40% of its area under forest cover.
3. Its state animal is wild water Buffalo.
4. It is drained by the Rihand River.
Which among the following states has all the above characteristics?
5. Which one of the following represents the inner planets?
(a) Planets between the sun and the earth
(b) Planets between the sun and the belt of asteroids.
(c) Planets in gaseous state
(d) Planets without satellite(s)
•Denser the material, higher the velocity. Hence, velocity increases as wave moves from crust to core.
•Both P and S waves provide an idea about the interior of earth. How? P waves bend as it enters the mantle. It suggests that the medium has changed (in this case: solid to molten).
•While, S waves travel only through the solid state. This characteristic helps scientists in understanding the interior of the earth.
•Major reef formations are observed in the Gulf of Kutch and Gulf of Mannar. Some coral reefs around small inlets in the western part of the Gulf of Khambat have also been observed.
•Both Loktak and Kolleru are fresh water Ramsar sites located in Manipur and Andhra Pradesh respectively. Sasthamkotta lake is a brackish-water lake in Kerala. Similarly, Chilika lake has a status of coastal Ramsar Site.
•The tropic of cancer passes through Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, West Bengal, Tripura and Mizoram.
•The northern and southern parts of the state are hilly, while the central part is a fertile plain. Deciduous forests of the Eastern Highlands Forests cover roughly 44% of the state. The state animal is the van bhainsa, or wild water buffalo.
•The Rihand River, a tributary of the Ganges, drains this State
•Out of the eight planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth and Mars are called as inner planets as they lie between the sun and the belt of asteroids. The other four planets are called the outer planets.